We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day.


Friday, April 3, 2009

OS: Night 4 & 5

Night 4
Down at 10 (wouldn't go any earlier) Slept til 4 (yeah!), ate, then slept til almost 8 (yeah, again!)

Night 5:
Not as good (he had shots yesterday) but still pretty good. Down at 9-ish, slept til 2:30, ate then slept til about 6-ish. We'll get back on track tonight!

For those of you wondering, this is the system that I am using.
I feed James really well and then put him to sleep while he is still awake. If he falls asleep while nursing, I wake him up by laying him down on his back, changing his diaper, etc. (my babies sleep on their tummies-please don't turn me into child services, it's the only way they will sleep and they are so much more comfortable...besides, I slept on my tummy!) I decided that I would only feed him once during the night and originally picked 2am as his feeding time (I have since moved it to 4am as he has proven that he can do it!) and then if he wakes up before 4am, I won't pick him up, I will just pat him every 5 minutes or so until he falls back asleep. Then I decided that I won't get him up until at least 6am, if he wakes up before then, I do the same pattern as above.
I don't know if it is James or if it's just that I started this way earlier on him than I did with the others, but this time is much (soooo much!) easier. I think it might be a combination of both. I was going to wait until about 3 months to start, but he was waking every 2 hours (give or take) and sleeping with me for half the night and I was exhausted, more so than with the others. I suppose the whole "advanced maternal age" carries beyond just pregnancy!
Anyway, it's working so well and I have to think that starting this early has helped tremendously. Good luck to anyone using this advice, I hope it helps...You can do it!

9 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

What a beautiful little guy he is. I haven't had a chance to congratulate you yet! I remember those hard nights with an infant but sounds like it's going pretty well...and my boys were both tummy sleepers just like I was. Good luck!

The Pierce Family said...

What a beautiful little guy he is. I haven't had a chance to congratulate you yet! I remember those hard nights with an infant but sounds like it's going pretty well...and my boys were both tummy sleepers just like I was. Good luck!

Alan and Jeni said...

Way to go, Poppy! Our babies sleep on their bellies too. It sounds like your hard work is paying off. Hopefully it only gets better from here. :)

Laura said...

congratulations, poppy! i knew you could do it. i want more pictures of the little guy!

Tash said...

Good job Poppy! He is an adorable little guy.

Lena said...

Ok, Poppy you motivated me again. I am going to try the tummy thing, you are right we slept on ours. My problem is my husband gets her in the middle of the night & I don't remember even nursing her. I woke up the other night and she was at the bottom of our bed with her brothers foot on her. We were all asleep though! Wish me luck!

Joyous said...

wow... good for you! My baby is still going down at 10 getting up at 1;30, and then again at 4;30, and then again at 6;30...and she usually is in my bed for half the night... I am WAY tired all the time. All my babies usually slept through the night by 2 months old... Bella has one week to go, and I have a sneaking suspicion that she is going to be the exception to the rule! Maybe I will try your method!

susie harty said...

I am going to try your method tonight. He is already in bed (I put him down at about at about 8). I'll try to wait until 3 or 4. I'll let you know what happens.

DaNiElLe said...

Although I was sad that my children stopped breast feeding at very young ages (2 months) because of health issues and by choice on Carters part... I am glad I didn't have to go through that! Drying up was bad enough cold turkey. But I am a meanie and I stopped the middle night feedings cold turkey and the bottle at the same time. But it was only bad the first couple nights. Good luck and I admire your dedication!